Introducing a discussion list for those who are interested in memorizing scripture.
"How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. I
seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have
hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you."
Click here for List Archives
To subscribe to the Bible memory discussion list, send a message to
firstname.lastname@example.org with the following line in the body of the message:
The Bible memory list is designed to encourage friendly discussion on the
topic of Bible memorization. The list has more than 400 members and has been up
since Jan. 12, 1998.
If you read through the scriptures, you will easily see that knowledge of
the word of God is important to having a closer relationship with God. Of course, head
knowledge alone is not good enough. It must be understood and applied to
your life. Meditation, prayer and Bible study play a key role in
understanding. Clearly, if you have memorized portions of the word of God,
it makes meditation much more profitable. Also, when you have grown to a
certain level of maturity you can then teach the things you know to others. For a
brief article on why scripture memorization is important to the growth of
a Christian, you may want to read my article at
Purpose of the biblemem list:
- To collect together a group of people who have a desire to make the
memorization of scripture and meditation on what has been memorized a
significant portion of their lives.
- I would like to bring together a group of people whose goal is to commit to
memory portions of Scripture.
- These people can share ideas, encourage one another, set goals and be
accountable to one another for progress and be praying for one another.
- To discuss how we can help others, such as our children, Sunday School
class and Church friends, etc., learn to love memorizing scripture.
- To discuss various tools, props and aids which are effective in the
memorization and review of scripture. This includes everything from verse
cards to mnemonic devices. If your goal is to memorize many chapters of
scripture, then the organization and presentation of the material is
critical. These tools and methods must be developed.
- To discuss how time and other activities can be scheduled to allow for
what we want to accomplish, while still maintaining balance in all other
areas of life.
- To share the blessings of knowing the word of God.
- Memorization of information is not enough. It must be learned
permanently, it must be understood and applied. Review, study and
meditation is a key component of any scripture memory system. Discussion
of these topics is welcome.
It is asked that you follow these guidelines when posting to the list:
- The list is open to all Christians who believe in salvation by faith
alone through the work of Jesus Christ who is our Lord and our GOD.
- This is not a forum to discuss the merits of one Bible translation over
another. This is also not a forum to discuss theology unless it is directly relevant
to the theme of memorization of Scripture as defined above. Please
do not stray from this topic.
- It is assumed that the Bible is the inspired, inerrant, word of God and
as such has authority over our lives.
- Do not send requests for personal information to the entire list. These
types of messages should be sent directly to the individual.
- Do not make negative personal comments to or about any individual on the
list. Ideas are fair game for debate, but the individuals who hold these
ideas should be treated with respect.
- This is a moderated discussion list. This means that I will read every
post before it goes out. Because of this, posts to the list will be delayed
until I have time to review them. I have chosen to moderated the
list to filter out messages from people who are hostile towards the gospel and
would try to send an offensive message to the list members. Similarly, messages
which are way off topic will be filtered out.
E-mail address of list moderator: email@example.com
Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION,
Copyright (c) 1973, 1978, 1984 International Bible Society. Used by
permission of Zondervan Bible Publishers